UTDesign Makerspace is a place of innovation, creativity, and fun. To keep our members safe and avoid misuse of our technology, we have rules that our members are required to follow.
This is the official list of UTDesign Makerspace rules. To view when this page was last edited or navigate the different sections, please use the sidebar on the left.
Members are required to follow all UTDesign Makerspace rules inside Synergy Park North, on our Discord server, and at UTDesign Makerspace events. Anyone who violates our rules may have their access removed or be banned from UTDesign Makerspace and its events for any amount of time.
- All members should be familiarized with our safety information.
- Do not prop open any doors (ex. entrance, digital fabrication room) for longer than five minutes.
- You must provide your own materials (ex. filament, resin, thread). We do not offer consumable materials.
- Do not use someone else's materials. This includes unmarked and UTDesign Makerspace consumable materials.
- Materials must be labeled with the owner's name, email, and Discord username or phone number while outside of public storage.
- Materials left outside of public storage and disconnected from tools for more than three business days may be considered abandoned and become UTDesign Makerspace property.
- Do not tamper with any of the machines. This includes removing or altering any SD cards, plugging or unplugging cables, switching print beds between 3D printers, and tampering with USB ports.
- If a machine is broken or out of calibration, please notify an officer. Do not attempt to fix a broken machine yourself.
- Do not stop in-progress jobs (ex. 3D prints) that are not yours unless it is very clearly failing. Leave a note or send a message on the Discord server explaining why you cancelled it.
- Do not manufacture firearms or firearm parts.
- Print a wall around or keep your project hidden when creating obscene parts.
- When using any open blades (ex. box cutters), you must wear cut resistant gloves which can be found by the 3D printers or tool drawers.
- UTDesign Makerspace reserves the right to pause, cancel, or remove jobs at any time for any reason.
- UTDesign Makerspace cannot guarantee object quality or stability, or confidentiality of designs. UTDesign Makerspace is not liable for objects which prove to be functionally faulty, defective, or unsafe in their use.
- UTDesign Makerspace does not validate components or machines against specifications, nor does it test for their failure or damage, nor is it liable for electronics which prove to be functionally faulty, defective, or unsafe in their use.
Storage rules apply to all items stored by members at UTDesign Makerspace in public spaces and do not apply to officer or student organization storage outside of rules 1 and 2.
- UTDesign Makerspace does not provide guarantee of any security for stored items and is not liable for destruction or loss of property.
- Do not store flammables, perishable food, firearms, alcohol, drugs, or anything illegal in storage areas.
- Items may only be stored in areas designated public storage.
- When storing items, attach a note with your name, Discord username (preferred) or phone number, NetID, and date stored.
- If working on a stored item, add the most recent work date to the note and cross out the previous one. Leave the original storage date untouched.
- All stored items should be removed within two weeks of the date of original storage unless being worked on at least once per week.
- If you do not remove your stored items in violation of the above rules by a certain date, we will attempt to contact you to remove them. If you still do not remove them within two days (48 hours) or plan a removal date with an officer, we will consider them abandoned and they will become UTDesign Makerspace property.
Sharing rules are generally unenforced until an officer informs a member they are causing an issue. If you think you may be using our technology too often, please ask an officer.
- Please remove your completed jobs in a timely manner.
- Do not run jobs on the same machine many times in a row.
- Do not use multiple machines at the same time unless nobody else needs them or it is absolutely necessary.
- Complete the mandatory training before 3D printing.
- Only print with 1.75mm PLA, PLA+, or PLA Pro. Contact an officer if you want to use another filament.
- Using OctoPrint is required when using our 3D printers. You can connect to it using
http://<color>.utd.ms/. Attempting to print via SD card is not allowed at any point.
- Do not turn off the screen or tamper with the volume of the arcade.
- Do not change the controls for a game. If you want to request a change, contact an officer.
- Do not mess with the internals, hardware, software, or installed games. If you need assistance, contact an officer.
- Do not attempt to access the internet, whether for online play or other use.
- Do not modify save files except to add progress. For example, you may not change the Mii character in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but you may save with new levels unlocked in Castle Crashers.
¶ Electronics and Soldering Rules
- Please complete the optional electronics training before utilizing electronics equipment.
- If working with or around high voltage (above 50 volts), please complete the Electrical Safety Course from UT Dallas BioRAFT.
- Clean and tin soldering tips before turning soldering equipment off. This prevents oxidation and extends the longevity of tips.
- Do not use soldering equipment for extended periods of time. If left on, standalone soldering irons will destroy themselves!
- Please restow any oscilloscope and multimeter probes, put away materials, and collect personal belongings before leaving.
- If working with sensitive electronics, please leverage grounding straps as a protective measure.
- When connecting probes, always connect the common test probe first. When disconnecting probes, always disconnect the live test probe first.
- Turn off circuit power and discharge all high-voltage capacitors in the circuit before you perform resistance, continuity, diodes, or capacitance tests.
- Please temper the permanent use of UTDesign Makerspace materials. These are provided primarily for educational use and are not regularly replenished.
- Complete the mandatory training before resin printing.
- Eye protection, a mask, and gloves are required, even if free ones are unavailable. Having a partner who is also trained in resin printing present is also required.
- You must use Inland standard resin or bring your own resin vat and washing container. Personal resin must be non-toxic.
- Complete the mandatory training before laser cutting.
- Always run the exhaust on high while processing a job. If the exhaust is disconnected, contact an officer.
- Only print approved materials on the laser cutter. See the laser cutting wiki page for more information.
- Never leave a laser job running without supervision. Always stay within sight and check inside frequently.
- Do not use the laser cutter if the glass or case is damaged, cloudy, or modified in any way.
- Wear the Glowforge safety glasses while using the laser cutter and do not stare into the laser while it is running.
- It is normal for a small flame to appear where the laser strikes the material. If the flame stays while the laser has moved past, then stop the print immediately. Extinguish the flame and adjust your material settings. If this does not resolve the issue, quit the job completely.
- If a fire cannot be extinguished or it spreads outside the Glowforge unit, call 911 and evacuate the building.
For additional information, please visit the Glowforge Safety webpage.
- Always use the provided wrist straps on the controllers.
- Do not exit the play area (green screen) or chaperone bounds while in VR.
- Spectators must stand behind the computer or near the doorway.
- First-time users must play the SteamVR tutorial before doing anything else.
- Only install games and software with the intent of using them in virtual reality.
- Anyone gaming is limited to one hour per day and expected to leave the station if someone wants to work on creation or education.
- Anyone looking to use VR for creative or educational use is allowed to reserve the room.
- You may wear glasses inside of the VR headset, but take them off if they may scratch the lenses.
- You must have an officer's permission to livestream using the VR computer.
- Delete all recordings before exiting the room. Box is a free online storage solution provided by UT Dallas.
- Only use the provided software and use reasonable encoding settings.